Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Last Moonbeam Pushes Up Against The Scrim



Fresno’s drive-in is still open—a reprieve from the rest of it.
The beam searches across the crinolined dark.
A woman in a red Honda opens her mouth for a jujube as
her son gleefully pegs it into her eye. 

     Things that never leave:
     impressions, mists, your mother

In the Poconos two lovers push themselves together and pant out their postmodern 
urges until the room pulses with guilty avoidance.
As they finish, you move forward with a sigh into my hand, nuzzle the
back of my eyes into orange explosions like flour fluorescing in a bakery fire.  Then 
the moment is      over.                  
Can we ever know that we are
loved at the      exact     moment                                that we love? 

     the tongue-licked fur of a Banded Galloway
     the lust of the child for the teat
     Genuine need         
     Wish in one hand shit in another

The figures flicker on the screen.  A dead man plays his comic
part and someone props him into a beach chair, gives him a drink,
pretends he hasn’t started to smell.  When I was seven, my mother
and I took a trip to Florida.  At the restaurant papered in peacock
blue, I ordered an artichoke that I later vomited into a toilet at a motel
across from the ocean.  It rained for the next three days.  When the
storms were over, tadpoles swam on the pool deck.  The man in the
car in front of us is wearing a toupee.  As we watch, his lover gently
raises it, caresses his bare head, leans in and kisses his ear.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is pretty much a perfect poem. It has just the right amount of scenery and action to keep it intriguing and moving along, it is immensely saturated and evocative but not dense. Each line is unexpected yet maintains a nice, natural rhythm. Although I think it's necessary in this case, because of the depth and placement of the question in the middle of the poem, I don't like looking at the white space there.. But I can't think of another way to make it more eye-pleasing. Perhaps stack it up? It's really just a preference of mine and like I said, this is basically a perfect piece.
    Very very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which style of the poem do you perfer, personally? The one on the blog or the one in your manuscript? Which is more recent?

    I enjoy the poem either way, and I'm not really sure which I think is stronger.

    ReplyDelete